Friday, December 3, 2010

A Week In The Life Of...

Zola Jesus

So we're keeping pace; I know, it's only been a week, but we're walking before we can run. Not much to report on this week in the way of music news (there probably is, but if it's that important you'd already know about it).

This week I thought I'd just cobble together some albums that have been at the top of the play list. A bit of the new, a bit of the old. You never know you may just learn a thing or two about yourself. Enjoy [or not]:

Envy - Recitation [Temporary Residence; 2010]

Envy's music has always been a little bit too much for me. A little bit too overwhelming and maybe a little hard to place. Still, I always give them a chance when they release a new album and I'm glad I didn't give up, as their latest long player maybe 'the one'.

I'm not sure how Recitation sits in Envy's discography as far as their supreme listeners are concerned, but for me this is definitely something that has reached a certain level.

I just feel this album has a good balance of beauty and destruction. Maybe that's the reason why I haven't dug Envy's music up until this point. Anyway, I'm glad that's changed because Recitation has certainly struck a chord. Stand out tracks; 'Last Hours of Eternity', 'Light and Soltitude'.

Radiohead - Pablo Honey [Parlophone; 1993]

Last in many fans' pecking order when Radiohead discussions take place (as you know, these discussions occur at least once a year), however those of us who are fortunate to wake up in the morning need something to start the working day with, so why not be accompanied by 'Creep' in your car whilst on route to the dreaded working day? Rather than the end of week, though, it's probably more of a Monday morning record in this instance.

Still, let's not take away the essence for what Pablo Honey truly is. Simplicity is never a bad thing and tracks such as 'Stop Whispering' and 'Prove Yourself' are good songs that any young band would only wish to dream of writing (well, maybe in the '90s, but still).

Zola Jesus - Stridulum II [ Sacred Bones Records; 2010]

The solo project of Nika Roza Danilova (ex-member of Former Ghosts), this has been a main stayer amongst my play list for the last month. With undercurrents of brooding darkness and melody, the framework of Zola Jesus' previous works certainly shine through cracks of bleakness on Stridulum II. 'I Can't Stand' is probably one of the finest songs I've heard all year. It's the centre piece that sets this album up as a contender for a top 10 finish in my albums of year list.

Despite the month it's had on rotation, it continues to stay strong amongst my collection and doesn't look like letting up anytime soon. Other stand out tracks; 'Night', 'Sea Talk'.

Les Savy Fav - Root For Ruin [French Kiss; 2010]

Musically, Let's Stay Friends was such a great album and up until that point was certainly Les Savy Fav's finest album, even if it did manage to broaden the band's fanbase somewhat.

The thing that grates on me when this band gets a mention is the first thought on people's minds; their "crazy" live show, or shall I say their "crazy" frontman, Tim Harrington.  Maybe the point of such antics in the live arena is to deflect attention away from the music itself? I'm not sure whether that point is valid (nor does it need to be because they can pen a tune). What I do know is that their new album, Root For Ruin, continues to justify LSF's current good run of form. Maybe not as solid in terms of songs, but as an album I think it stands up rather well to its predecessor.

It maybe in a similar vein with formulas not shying too far away from their own sound template, but at the end of the day this album is enjoyable and sometimes you need that. Stand out tracks; Sleepless in Silver Lake, High and Unhinged.

Words - Simon K

No comments:

Post a Comment